1,802

Mama Cat Braves Storm To Bring Her Kittens To Safety

• Cat in Rain

This is the sweetest story! Kate Collins’ son had been feeding a stray, a hungry little cat that had been hanging around his house in the Indianapolis area. He called her Mabel. Mabel was too shy to come in the house, and soon she disappeared –  for a whole month. He had been planning to take her to the vet and hopefully get her adopted, but now she was gone.
    Cat in Rain

About a month later, she showed up again, hungry, and looking differently somehow. This time, she cautiously came in the house, ate a lot, looked around a bit, and then left again. She did this for about a week, and then disappeared again – this time for two months.

Now this is where Mabel will start to pull at your heartstrings:

“Two months later I heard a loud cry from outside my window. It was six in the morning during a bad thunderstorm. I had decided to sleep with the windows open that night to hear the storm come in. When I heard the crying again I quickly dressed and went to the living room. I opened my sliding glass door and saw Mabel, soaking wet, meowing her heart out.”

Poor Mabel, out there in the pouring rain! She must have been scared to death of the thunder and lightning. But there was more to it than that:

“Then behind her I saw the reason why. There was a very small kitten following her. She led the shivering kitten to my door and disappeared back into the storm. Thirty minutes later she came back, with another kitten. Every thirty minutes Mabel went back into the storm, until, one by one, she had led eight little four-week-old kittens to my door.”

Talk about a mother’s love! Mabel had trekked back-and-forth through the raging storm to get her kittens to safety. If it took 30 minutes to get each one, that means she spent 4 hours in that storm! She brought them to the only person she knew she could trust.

(These are Mabel’s kittens, Cole, Quinn, and Ellie! Click to them see full-sized)

“In that moment when I stepped outside and I looked into that cat’s eyes, there was an exchange of information. She had successfully communicated to me that she needed help. And somehow, over the weeks and months that I had cared for her, she had come to know that I would. Mabel had struggled for hours to bring her kittens to safety, and I owed it to her to make sure they end up in a good loving home.”

(This is Casper and Lilly. Click to see them full-sized)

The kittens have all been named, taken to the vet, are litter trained, and are ready for adoption. Kate Collins also wants to thank her heroic son, who has taken the kittens into his home and is taking such good care of them.

“My son is determined not to  turn them over to a shelter but instead find homes for them and their brave little mother.”

Bless your hearts! We think you and your son are both wonderful people, and we’re so glad that Mabel had a place to take her kittens!

(Monty, Leo, and Killian. Click to see them full-sized)

If you live in the Indianapolis area, and are interested in adopting the mama cat Mabel, or any of her kittens, you can contact Kate here. Tell her we sent you! Also, the top image, the cat in the rain, is NOT Mabel. We don’t have a picture of her, but she is a calico kitty. The pictures of the kittens, however, are the real deal!

Featured Image

Update!!

Happy ending!!! Just heard from Jason and Kate. Jason says homes have been found for all of the kittens, and he is keeping Mabel!

From Jason:

I am happy to announce that all eight kittens have found wonderful, loving homes. We have decided to adopt Mabel ourselves, along with three of her kittens. Thank you so much for sharing this story! It brings me to tears and I lived it! : )

From Kate:

Imagine 8 kittens, their mom, and my son’s own rescued cat in a one bedroom apartment! But he was too kind-hearted to shut his door that stormy morning. I’m so proud of him.

You have every reason to be proud of him, Kate. You raised a wonderful, kind-hearted son! And Jason, it brings us to tears that it brings you to tears! But thank you both for letting us know the end of this heart-warming story. We couldn’t be happier that Mabel gets to stay with the person she trusted most in this world. We wish you, Mabel, and the kittens all the best!

Source

Filed in: Rescue and Adoption Tags: , , , ,

Related Posts

1,802 Responses to "Mama Cat Braves Storm To Bring Her Kittens To Safety"

1. Deanna Franz says:

happy this cat was fed and safe.

2. you and your son are angels!! bless you!!

3. Amazing! Mabel is beautifull and the kittens sweet

4. Pamela James says:

Cats are the best mothers. Some people could take lessons from them

5. Anne Rush says:

You are truely a wonderful person xx

6. Wonderful story! Trust from the cat is so dear…

7. Carol Kent says:

people to be proud of.

8. Connie Beal says:

Thank you very much for being so kind to this Mom and her Kittens.

9. Aww. Such a lovely lil mama and some angels in the flesh! Thank you! May they all find great forever homes!!

10. God bless the hearts, that have taken care of this cats, sweet story

11. What a heroic kitty!!! What caring people you are!!!

12. We have the same situation in our trailer park too and with winter coming soon, we are worried and she will eat food we put out for her, but she will not let us close to her. Put lined totes out in case they need shelter….

13. Jade Deriso says:

What a wonderful story. God bless people like you for having a caring heart.

14. So heartwarming. Bless her heart and bless the kind man who took Mabel and her babies in. Hope they will all find good forever homes.

15. My lst cat was brought to my front porch by his momma because he was sick and we saved him. His momma visits here every day to eat breakfast and dinner. Soo sweet. Tried catching her to get her spayed but she is way to smart. We have to keep trying her babies all die which makes me sad. It would be better if she could just be spayed.

16. if i lived closer i would adopt in a heartbeat

17. Awesome Story…animals know who they can trust!

18. This is indeed a true story, a Momma cat will undergo great danger to herself to assist her kittens. Hope all will be adopted as they are all adorable. Mabel is a great name for the Momma of this tribe. Cheers to a very humane person for his caring.

19. Mary Enck says:

Brave little Mommy.

20. Kay Kalidja says:

Thanks to the son and the Mama cat knew who cared…There was a cat, who came to my deck and each time, I stepped outside she scattered. finally winter time came, and I bought a bag of cat food and had an old TV cabinet with a glass front. I put a pillow in it. She at the food and slept in the cabinet. I called her Shadow because that is mostly what I saw. finally one day, she decided I was okay, she came into the house and inspected every room.She fell in love with my husband who was blind. She would sit on his shoulder and have her face on his. We took her the vet, our neighbor and said she had been fixed and at one time was taken care of. I have had her fourteen years and lives with my daughter, since I can’t have her in my apartment. now.

21. Dogs trust easily,but you truly have to earn a cats.They are great moms.She is so pretty…

22. John Andrews says:

Beautiful Story!!!!!! Great People!!!!!!

23. What a touching story! Bravo to all!

24. If you can get a cat to trust you, you know you’re something special.

25. What a touching story! Strong brave mama cat

26. Faye Dufour says:

SUCH a beautiful story…….hope the precious kittens adopt people soon!!!

27. What a wonderful story! Mabel is an excellent Mom…and so smart! I’m so happy that this smart Mama brought her babies to her favorite, trusted human…bless that man for taking them all in too!

28. Bless her sweet precious heart <3